Friday 4 May 2018

How I learned to ride a bike


THE WALL AND THE STABLE DRIVE AND THE LANE AND THE NEXT VILLAGE

I learned biking late, and later still
heard how aged six, not understanding brakes,
I'd crashed against a wall. Eleven years,
while that unlearn eluded memory,
cycling balance eluded me too, made
bicycles a phobia. But –

"Rode Hugh's moped" is in my diary.
Not why, or who came up with that idea.
A stable drive was long enough for me,
longer than any pushbike I could fear.

For months, I risked no balancing on wheels.
Urged to a Christmas job some roads away,
too far for bus or walk, and to these skills,
I tried my sister's bike on Boxing Day.

The moped ride had not been fluke or fake.
I whizzed to the next village down the lane.
Uphill I found was harder. It would take
longer and the straight line was extra strain.

My ageing feet now say "Walk bad, bike good."
The prequel crash continues to elude.



The above was my contribution to the 26 Memory Maps project.  The map I drew for it is this:

The 26 Memory Maps project was the brainchild of Neil Baker (no relation).  Taking part in it did me a lot of good as I convalesced from a knot of health problems in the summer of 2017.  At the time of blogging, cycle journeys are again out of bounds for reasons of convalescence.  I have been putting this time to good use by following another creative project.  Work produced under that other project will be blogged, according to my usual rule, as and when it gets published.

Meanwhile, take a look at 26 Memory Maps.  50 contributions besides mine!



No comments:

Post a Comment